FRENCH CEMETERY (JACQUES-CARTIER PARK)
This cross and the locale of its placement mark the original landfall of Jacques Cartier
and his three ships in 1535. He explored the island, naming it «Isle-aux-Coudres» because of the quality and abundance of the fruit of the «coudriers», a small hazelnut tree. His two priests celebrated the first mass in Canada. In memory of this, Heritage Canada set up a cross on the chemin des Coudriers: it’s the monument Jacques Cartier.
Muséum Les Voitures d'eau
cross of the Cape
All the crosses that we find on the island are there to witness of our ancestors’ attachment to their faith. Most of them were erected because of favors obtained. La Croix du Cap dates back September 1957.
Caya was known as a tall foolish man. His behavior frightened people. He spent half of his life sitting on this rock. A legend also says that all newborn babies on the island come from under that rock.
built in 1885
Moulins de l’Isle
This kind of huge «C shape» fence, built with ‘harts’ (tree trunks without branches) planted at low tide, was needed to trap the beluga whales. 3500 ‘harts’, a big task for 20 men working the time of 5 tides. Following their prey, at low tide, the belugas stayed trapped within the fence allowing the islanders to easily catch them. On May
28 , 1923, in only one tide, 87 belugas were captured at the same time. They made
boots and other things with the skin. The melted grease provided them with oil for the lamps and lubricating oil for their machines. Beluga fishing ended in 1924.
Father de La Brosse's monument
This monument was erected by the priest Épiphane Lapointe in 1848 in honour of Father Jean-Baptiste de La Brosse who stayed on the island for 2 years (1766-1767) and that's where he celebrated his first mass. There are a few legends about his life. The most important one is in regards to the prediction of his death.
The occidental chapel is made of field stone pointed in the mortar in the place called « Anse des grandes mares » for the celebration of the Corpus Christi and it was dedicated to Saint-Anne and was one important element of the religious life of the residents of this village.
Today the goelette is no longer with us but its mast can be found at the Jacques-Cartier Park.
She was built, mostly, of white spruce by Mr. Harvey and Lajoie and launched in the fall of 1928 as a carrier of various materials and pulp wood. In 1930 she became the first ferry between the island and Saint-Joseph-de-la-Rive, running in the tourist season. Seven years later she again became the island ferry making the crossing, twice a day, in the morning and the evening during the summer. In winter, the tradition of crossing the river ice in small, strong canoes continued. This permitted the transport of both people and the mail.
Legend of the Crying Rock (La Roche Pleureuse)
The legend relates that in 1805 Charles Desgagnés and his crew sailed eastward to the old country. He planned to return home in September to marry. His fiancée came to this place every afternoon for over one year, scanning the horizon for her beloved. One morning the following May, when she failed to return home, her neighbours searched high and low for her for several days. One morning, as her father stepped over some high marsh grass, he spied a large rock, surrounded by flowers, from which flowed a trickle of water. He put his head against the rock then told the searchers to return to their homes, for he realized that his daughter, Louise, had turned to stone. Now she weeps, year-round, for her lost love.
The pointe du Bout d'en bas
This is the property of several owners. You can see a statue of Notre-Dame de l’Assomption, erected in 1960 by Mr. Horace Pedneault. The result of a promise he made for his recovery.
Traditional way of catching small fish such as smelts, caplins, small soles, using sections of fences ‘’fascines’’ connected to one another, curved at the end and maintained
by big rocks in the water. At low tide the fisherman goes to gather the fish caught in the fence.
Other sites not to miss
the islanders call it “bloc”
La Boulangerie Bouchard
founded in 1945
a former ice cream bar
Maison Leclerc, outside view only
the virgin’s grotto, outside Saint-Louis’ church
The Pillar (old indian), The St-Lawrence water never completely covers that big rock. Ancestors named it Old Indian. See his face laying there, his chin towards the east and feather pointing west. It’s dangerous and inadvisable to get there without a boat.