The only site of its kind in Canada, this museum houses a fully functional watermill (1825) and windmill (1836), as well as a miller’s residence.
Come to relive the past of the history of the navigation on the river St-Laurent and ice canoe
This cross and the locale of its placement mark the original landfall of Jacques Cartier and his three ships in 1535. He explored the island, naming it Isle-aux-Coudres because of teh quality and abundance of the fruit of the "coudriers" a small hazelnut tree. His two priest celebrated the first mass in Canada.
All the crosses that we find on the island are there to witness of our ancestors’ attachment to their faith. Most of them were erected because of favors obtained. La Croix du Cap dates back September 1957.
LE PARC DE LA ROCHE À CAYA.
Caya was known as a tall foolish man. His behavior frightened people. He spent half of his life sitting on this rock. A legend also says that all newborn babies on the island come from under that rock.
La pêche aux marsouins (bélugas)
This kind of huge «C shape» fence, built with ‘harts’ (tree trunks without branches) planted at low tide, was needed to trap the beluga whales. 3500 ‘harts’, a big task for 20 men working the time of 5 tides. Following their prey, at low tide, the belugas stayed trapped within the fence allowing the islanders to easily catch them. On May 28 , 1923, in only one tide, 87 belugas were captured at the same time. They made boots and other things with the skin. The melted grease provided them with oil for the lamps and lubricating oil for their machines. Beluga fishing ended in 1924.
This monument was erected by the priest Épiphane Lapointe in 1848 in honour of Father Jean-Baptiste de La Brosse who stayed on the island for 2 years (1766-1767) and that's where he celebrated his first mass. There are a few legends about his life. The most important one is in regards to the prediction of his death.
The occidental chapel is made of field stone pointed in the mortar in the place called « Anse des grandes mares » for the celebration of the Corpus Christi and it was dedicated to Saint-Anne and was one important element of the religious life of the residents of this village.
Today the goelette is no longer with us but its mast can be found at the Jacques-Cartier Park.
This is the property of several owners. You can see a statue of Notre-Dame de l’Assomption, erected in 1960 by Mr. Horace Pedneault. The result of a promise he made for his recovery.
Traditional way of catching small fish such as smelts, caplins, small soles, using sections of fences ‘’fascines’’ connected to one another, curved at the end and maintained by big rocks in the water. At low tide the fisherman goes to gather the fish caught in the fence.
The first lighthouse, whose construction began in june 1930, was completed in July 931. A white light shone every 5 seconds and compressed-air-powered a fog horn., sounded evry 30 secondes for 2.5 seconds. In Apris 1934, the frequency was changed:sound 3 seconds pause 12 seconds. Until 1971 it remained the attendants to operate the fog horn and lights. Havin besome obsolete, the lighthouse was demolished en 192-72 and replaced by a new one.